Reply To: Tips for planning our Program's first international trip!

Home Forums PAGH Global Health Forum Tips for planning our Program's first international trip! Reply To: Tips for planning our Program's first international trip!

Author Replies
Olivia Bockoff PA-C (PAGH Board) # Posted on June 27, 2016 at 7:15 pm Reply
Profile photo of Olivia Bockoff PA-C (PAGH Board)

Amber,

I coordinated an International rotation in Belize as a student. We raised funds mostly from soliciting donations although you can do a number of events such as bake sales, car washes, auctions, etc. I strongly recommend that you plan to bring all of your own supplies. MAP International puts together great medicine kits with all the basics- antibiotics, analgesics, etc. Then you can leave whatever you don’t use with the local pharmacy or hospital to make a more lasting impact. The biggest things that we saw was the need for primary care basics such as anti-inflammatories and analgesics. If you will be working with a farming community, i’d suggest you bring inhalers and bronchodilators for asthmatics affected by pesticides and things like pads for the girls menstruating.

There are likely to be tons of kids. Your visit to the community is a great time to pass out simple interventions such as toothbrushes and have lessons regarding simple first aid and hand washing. If you are able to get the kids doing things, they will often teach the adults and you can really affect a community. Or have educational sessions with the ladies.

I hope all goes well!!

Olivia